International Conference on Marine Biodiversity Data Management: Ocean Biodiversity Informatics (OBI)
Location: Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie (BSH
Event Type: Meeting
Event Date: 2004-11-29
End Date: 2004-12-01
International Conference on Marine Biodiversity Data Management
The conference topics will be restricted to marine biological data management - taxon-based, biogeography but also environmental, non-taxon based data management. Specific objectives are to:
- Learn how and why researchers have used large-scale marine biodiversity databases to make major discoveries about the functioning and state of ocean ecosystems.
- Bring together biological data managers to discuss the present state, and progress, in this field since the meetings in Hamburg (1996) and Brussels (2002).
- Discuss standards and protocols for data exchange. Take note of new developments such as Distributed Generic Information Retrieval (DiGIR) and OBIS, and discuss how this will influence biological data management in general.
- Provide an opportunity for biological data managers to find out what is happening at IODE National Oceanographic Data Centres and marine research agencies from around the world.
- Discuss potential gaps and overlaps in the taxonomic and geographic scope of existing data systems. How can we, as a community, ensure that we are covering the whole field, and that no taxonomic groups are left behind? How can we make maximal use of resources, and avoid overlaps?
- How do we integrate data from separate databases into large datasets that will enable us to provide answers on the global cover and long time scales that we need?
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please go to programme on their web site.
Collaborators and organisers:
Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ)
Vismijn, Pakhuizen 45-52
Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie
Bernhard-Nocht Straße 78
20359 Hamburg, Germany
Sunhild Wilhelms (BSH)
Edward Vanden Berghe (IOC/IODE and VLIZ)
Peter Pissierssens (IOC/IODE)
Mark J. Costello (OBIS)
Friedrich Nast (BSH)
Website url: http://www.vliz.be/obi/index.php
Registration form: http://www.vliz.be/obi/obiregistration.doc
Relevant costs that should be taken by MARBEF:
Possibility for day-care centres (facilities for children): No
MarBEF supported event: Yes
Event within Framework of MARBEF: (none)
Maximum number of participants:
External participants (non MARBEF) allowed: Yes
Posted by Ward on 2004-04-29 and approved by Webmaster